A Recipe for Healing

Directions:
Be creative. Trust your instincts. Cry when you want to, laugh when you can. Choose the size pot that fits your loss. Season with memories; stir often.
_

Monday, May 28, 2012

An update.

It has been a long, long time since my last post.

Since then, I have:
Lived in China for 3 months in the fall, an incredible, meaningful experience full of hundreds of stories.
Declared my major, finally(!) : English Writing.
Turned 21.
Nailed a summer internship at The Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era newspaper company. I'm on my second week now, working full-time as a reporter.
Found out that I'll be the editor-in-chief of my college's newspaper in the fall.
Went on a date, which was part weird, part nice.
Marked the 3rd year of Micah's death in April on Easter Sunday.

This semester has felt slow and uninspiring at times, but in general I am pleased with the momentum gathering in my life and where it's taking me. The years since Micah's death have been in slow-motion...a lot of that due to my need to process my grief, and a lot due to my own development of my identity. Life feels like its picking up again, and I'm at a place where I can embrace that momentum.

Life after college feels terrifying and enticing (I think all good things in life should be made up of some combination of those two feelings.) Luckily I've still got one year to ride this college wave, but knowing how quickly this year went, soon it truly will be over!

This summer will be full of work-work-work with my internship, but also hopefully time for reading, writing, family, camping, the beach, sleeping, and enjoying Lancaster folks.

Hope you are all enjoying where you are and what you are doing. Lots of love your way.

1 comment:

  1. Editor-in-chief of your college's newspaper - a well deserved honor. Your writing is expressive and personal, detailed and yet simple. I have felt your time move both quickly and slowly. You will find this theme with time continues in your life. And hurts and healing will remain circular. It is true, you have a special momentum building, others feel it, too. I am proud of you, and honored to share your journey.

    ReplyDelete