A Recipe for Healing

Directions:
Be creative. Trust your instincts. Cry when you want to, laugh when you can. Choose the size pot that fits your loss. Season with memories; stir often.
_

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Here are some things I continue to fill my life up with...

1) Being a "swim buddy" at Schreiber Pediatric Center---helping preschoolers swim in Schreiber's awesome indoor, heated pool. Some have evident physical or mental disabilities, but a majority of them are mildly-diagnosed. Either way, its always a blast (and sheesh, its always a workout.)

2) Volunteering at Clare House, a temporary home/transitional center for homeless women and their children. Basically I babysit the children for several hours when their mothers have house-meetings. Clare House is a really neat program and its been eye-opening to be around poverty in a way I've never been before.

3) Being a soccer coach/helper for TOPSoccer, a program through Schreiber. This is a six week program that teaches basic soccer skills to children with disabilities. Micah loved soccer and would be proud...so this one is for him. :)

4) Babysitting, at least once a week, which is always rewarding because the kids are so cute.

5) Various other jobs that arise...like teaching Sunday School every couple of weeks or so, or random art jobs.

Besides that, relaxing, reading, hanging out with family, not cleaning my room, watching Lost with the Bertholds, cuddling with my kitten, going on adventures with my Grandma, staying up late and sleeping in late...it continues to be a great semester off and I'm super grateful to be here.

1 comment:

  1. BECCA!
    I've volunteered at Schreiber before. They are the sweetest people.

    ReplyDelete